Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mistakes at Work

Everyone makes mistakes.  Some more than others.  That kept in mind, I should forgive whoever decided it would be nice to assign the nursing mother to all the sick kiddos at work.  Nevermind they are all full of germs that I can take home to my own little ones, everyone at the hospital has cooties, so what's the difference? 

The difference is that every time those little stinkers need a treatment, I get visited by a pair of prickle-boobs.  They look at me and I leak.  They cry and I leak.  They lay there sound asleep and I smell them and I leak.  This was not well thought  out. The Ds are trying to soak my shirt.  I take precautions:  wearing patterns, nursing pads, etc.  But its like they are hell-bent on my having a wet uniform by morning.

I do my rounds in pediatrics and then disappear for a few minutes into the bathroom with my good friend, the milking machine.  There is nothing more charming than sitting in a public bathroom doing this, as others come and rattle the door handle.

I go back, and realize that one of the nurses, Bob was my nurse when I was recovering from my c-section.  He makes sure to mention it.  I feel exposed.  This guy has seen more of me than any of my other co-workers, and I share a locker room with them.  How am I supposed to maintain professionalism?  How is he?  It is obvious we are both uncomfortable with the knowlege of what I look like naked directly following childbirth.  Bob won't look me in the eye. 

Now tell me, how am I supposed to work like that?  Hostile work environment?  Try this on for size!

No comments:

Post a Comment