Thursday, April 28, 2011

I just want biscotti and world peace!

A nice man approached me today. He told me he was with the newspaper and they were doing a feature article about mothers. I said, "Ha, you don't want to talk to me." "But aren't these your kids?" he asks. I nod. My kids cling to my legs, wondering why I am talking to him. He is, after all, not their daddy, and he is the only man they ever see me talk to.

He begins to walk away, thinking that I have nothing to say to him. He tried, after all. I call him back and begin my tirade. "Do you think that any REAL mother will take time away from her kids to talk to you? What do you want to know so badly? What about ME is newsworthy?"

He looks taken aback, almost frightened. "Well, what would you ask for this Mother's Day, if you were assured your wish would be granted?" I ponder a moment. I'd like to be 30 pounds lighter, I'd like 2 more hours in every day, I'd like a maid, a nanny, a wet-nurse. I say none of these things.

"I'd ask for an uninterrupted cup of coffee with a biscotti. And for everyone to stop fighting. No, not bickering about which movie to watch or which game to play. Real fighting, the kind with guns and bombs, so all the Mommies and Daddies could be home with their children."

He thanked me, and walked away quickly so I only caught a glimpse of the wet on his cheeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment