Monday, April 25, 2011

Going Veggie, short-term, sort-of

I stuffed my face with ham and hamburgers and hot dogs and more ham and now my kidneys are crying out for mercy. See, those little bean-shaped critters apparently hae to put in double-OT when we eat meat. I'm no nephrologist, but I think after 34 years of being mainly carnivorous with a side dish of sugar, my ways are catching up to me. I basically feel like crap in direct relation to what I eat.

Since my days of producing children are done, I feel like now would be the optimal time to evaluate what I can cut from my intake. I no longer need oodles and oodles of protein to create new beings. I no longer need sugar to power the "machine." I'm a little freaked out by this, because I love meat. But I love other things too. Chocolate. Preservatives. Sugar. And they have turned on me.

I don't remember what the condition I almost have is called. I eat sugar, and then it turns into the viscious cycle. Either eat more sugar or crash and burn. Sometimes I fall asleep. Other times I continue on my sugar fiasco. Hypoglycemia? I'm not diabetic, yet. But I feel it looming in the near-distance. Either way, poor pancreas is confused. Insulin or no?

So here is my challenge. I am going to go every week for the next month only eating meat one day a week. That is all of May. Meat will be consumed on Thursdays. I will eat no refined sugar for the entire month of May. I am not planning on making my family participate in this. They tend to balk at dietary changes of any sort. I'll get back to ya'll and let you know how it goes down. Seriously, though, its only 31 days, and its in the interest of the kidneys, the pancreas, and the general overall health of Luna and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment