Saturday, April 9, 2011

2011 NCAA Champions!

I admit I don't care much about sports.  I can watch hockey once in a while, being from Minnesota.  I know the game,  I know the rules.  My family has season tickets. 

I admit that I cry every time they destroy the National Anthem at the UMD games.  It seems so disrespectful.

I admit that tonight, I watched a hockey game willingly, on my own, and with my full attention.  It was the National Championship game against Michigan.  I watched and sweated profusely and wringed my hands as the game went into overtime.

I admit I cried tears of joy as UMD scored the winning goal in overtime.  It was a long time coming.  This was their first championship.  Only their second time in contention for it.  The other time, 1984, they lost in overtime.  I didn't cry then.  I didn't even care.

I am proud tonight to be from Duluth.  I am proud of these young men who worked so hard to bring this title to Duluth. 

My husband and kids are at the game.  I am so happy they got to experience this little part of Duluth history live and in-person, even if the tickets cost a mint.  They will never forget this day, this moment.  It gives me shivers.  I am shocked by the emotions wrapped up in this victory, but at the same time, I am so thrilled to be a part of this.  Way to go, Bulldogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment