Monday, June 20, 2011

Without my kitchen, how can I claim to be a housewife?

We are remodelling. It is hell. The microwave and the oven are in my dining room. Neither are hooked up. The refrigerator, luckily, still resides in the kitchen, which is getting a new tile floor.(goodbye, fake wood linoleum!)

But not having a kitchen and having all the kitchen stuff packed into the dining room makes it awful hard for me to call myself a housewife. (I do this on my days off so I don't feel guilty about not working full time.) I usually cook and clean and do laundry. Housewively things. But I can't cook without a stove. I won't bother cleaning when there is crap piled up in the dining room. Laundry it is!

Good thing we have the kitchenette in the basement apartment. I can dump some beans from the can in a pot and at least warm them up down there. Because, quite frankly, (and I never thought I would say this...) I miss real food. Not pizza, not Subway, not cereal or PB&J. Vegetables.

That said, tonight is weiners and beans. With ceasar salad and watermelon. I sure wish it would get warm so my summer meals were more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment