Friday, June 10, 2011

Garage Sale Maven

I should get flashers for the back of my Suburban. A big sign warning that "I Brake For Garage Sales (and Squirrels)". I love when folks plop all their shit out on folding tables and expect others to pay good money for it. The flags at the end of driveways are my dream come true. And its getting to be that time of year where everyone is cleaning out their houses and having these wonderful little bazaars.

This morning I got a tackle box, two pairs of pajama pants, a t-shirt, and some sunglasses for Zane. Since he is 3, he isn't very particular about whether or not someone has worn his clothes before him. God bless the child for not being picky.

The garage sale is one of the only places I buy books (aside from Amazon) because the volumes of material I read are grossly extensive. I purchase kids' toys and books at yard sales, because if they are in decent shape, they are usually a pretty good deal.

I only wish there were yard sales in Minnesota in January, since that is the only time I want to spend the time getting all my old, used up crap together for a sale. In the summer, I am more about enjoying the sunshine and fair weather. (Note I didn't say "nice") Can you see that, though? Old ladies slogging through the snowbanks to come peruse my kids' too-small clothes? Not so much.

But the winter garage sale is an idea. I wonder if it could catch on, and how much I would have to pay the kids to tend the cash box. How long could their shifts be without being considered abuse or neglect? And would folks turn out? I may try it, if the mood strikes me. But more likely it will be October, before the snow is plowable.

No comments:

Post a Comment