Monday, November 14, 2011

Deer Camp-iness

Brian has been gone since November 5. Minnesota women know what deer season does to families, and we have learned to live with it. Men disappear into the woods with their fellow men; to kill, play cards, eat meat, burp, fart, shit in the leaves, and beat their chests. A few brief stop-ins for dinner and a quick shower have reminded me that I love my husband very much, but he drives me crazy! He makes messes and does what he can to get the children wound up and out of their routines I work so hard to establish.

Brian has been gone since November 5, with only a few brief stops at home. He watches the kids when I have to go to work and daycare is closed. He leaves me money in an envelope with a short love note on the front of it, with specific instructions of what to do with the contents. It is very much the life of a single parent, but it is like he is dead, not just gone. His family stops by at inconvenient times, I think just to make sure the kids aren't tied up or starving. They try to make it look like they are trying to help, but it is awkward and tense.

Brian has been gone since November 5. He hasn't seen many deer, and he hasn't shot any. He hasn't fired his rifle once. He is getting antsy and impatient, and as deer season winds down, his impatience escalates. He becomes short-tempered (unusual for him) and moody. I have nicknamed this condition "Deer Camp PMS."

Brian has been gone since November 5. He has not shot a deer, and his mood shows it. I hope, for the sake of my sanity, my marriage, and my children's love for their father that he shoots one before this week is over. Because there is a reason PMS doesn't last all month, and certainly not all year. Men would murder us if we acted like that all the time. I don't know if I can take a full year of him having not killed anything. (Garbage-picking raccoons DON'T COUNT!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment